Friday, April 24, 2009

the festy rabbit story.

Frank the Rabbit

If anyone in the world thinks they have a better art teacher than me, I DARE YOU to challenge me! my wonderful teacher Mrs. Williams arrived home from New York about a week ago, and today in art class I was working on my cardboard dinosaur costume (I will post a blog about this project of mine later) and she came up and got all excited, as she does, and said it reminded her of the festy rabbit in New York. naturally, I was intrigued. This is The Festy Rabbit Story (as best I can remember):

Mrs. Williams and her friend wanted to check out an art gallery in the meat packing district of New York on Easter Monday and seeing as everything else seemed to be open that day, they caught a yellow taxi out there, only to realise (after walking around for a bit) that everything was shut up and closed for the day. They then passed an alleyway, and she saw a man pacing up and down the pavement, wearing a rabbit suit and a sandwich board. The front of the board said something along the lines of "CAN YOU DEFINE 'ART'?" and when he turned around, they saw that the back said (something along the lines of) "Unemployed artist needs work". They walked closer to take a photo, but feeling rude they decided to ask his permission first. They walked up to him and saw that his rabbit suit was pretty filthy, the rabbit ears were drooped and pretty depressing, and the parts where the suit had been rubbing against the sign was all balled and worn away; it was a pretty festy rabbit, something like Frank off Donnie Darko. Mrs. Williams asked him if he minded if she took a photo of him, and even though his eyes were slightly obscured by the fly mesh of the mask's eye pieces, she could see that he had narrowed his eyes at her in a pretty hateful way. It's New York; she thought they were going to get stabbed, so they took off back the way they're come from, but at the last minute she turned around and snapped a quick photo of The Festy Rabbit.

After she told me this story, she stuck on the headpiece of my dinosaur costume and asked me if I thought the class would take her more seriously if she wore it when she was talking to us. I laughed (she looked pretty hilarious, maybe I'll take a photo) and answered "no."

No comments: