Saturday, August 29, 2009

my first public exhibition!

Last night was the opening of the exhibition 'All Today's Parties' at Crate59! We were given around 4 days to develop an idea and create an artwork based on the thoughts of what we do today for fun and our social fabric, trends, etc. We were asked questions like "what consumes you?" and "what is 'cool'?". I had a piece exhibited and it was so fulfilling to watch people smile and tell me they like my art, and that they agree with my artist's statement. Here's my response to the question, what consumes you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The curator arranged and displayed it so wonderfully!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"This Is How We Live Now
Prior to creating this piece I was asked the
question, "What consumes us?" Simply: technology.
We've woven such intimate relationships with
technology that we can no longer see ways to live
without it. People develop anxiety over the loss of
a mobile phone and insist on paying hundreds
of dollars to upgrade to a flashy, newer
version of something they already own.


It's terrible quality as I just enlarged the first photo and didn't actually take a separate photo of the artist's statement. More enlargements:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"this is how we socialize."

more enlargements.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"this is how we tune out."

more enlargements.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"this is how we read the news."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"this is how we live now."
"this is what consumes us."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

on the wall. The Medics were playing live, and the music fit well with the setting and theme of the exhibition, so it turned out to be a good end to the night :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

the local kids, sitting around while The Medics play live.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

post-Medics, when everyone was either lounging around or leaving. I left. I was tired!

Yeah, it was a good night. Next week is the opening of the Energy Exhibition at The Tanks, where two of my photos will be shown, so I'll be sure to post that as well!

No comments: